The other day I was looking back over my life so far. There has been many challenges, lots of obstacles, great successes, and some patterns that seemed to have been very sticky in times. But I also remembered a fair number of obstacles I had overcome in a very short period of time. I wondered how did I do it and what was the secret of moving forward.
Back then I didn’t have the knowledge about the power of our subconscious mind. Back then I didn’t know that self-limiting beliefs could hold me back. I didn’t even know that there was a perspective of the world other than the one I was taught while growing up. How could I possibly be able to overcome obstacles?
It struck me when I suddenly realised how easy it is to get to the other side. Why didn’t I think of it earlier? That is so trivial and clear. Here is what I realised and how you can use it to overcome the greatest challenges in your life:
An obstacle stands between you and some place, some time, or some condition you desire, let’s call this your goal. To reach that goal and to overcome obstacles in your way you need to have a value in the goal that is stronger than the value that holds you back in your present situation. What is this mean?
Let’s give you an idea with an experience I had.
When I was 18, I started an apprenticeship for an insurance company. Even though I was pretty excited about this great opportunity, I felt misplaced and had great difficulties with the woman I was reporting to. I a kind of liked the office and the people there, but I wasn’t so sure how I ever would fit in. I wasn’t focussed either and I made mistakes I wasn’t aware of. After about six month the situation escalated. After a huge and for me humiliating argument in the midst of everyone, I went home and cried. I felt so hurt, that I didn’t want to go back ever again. Until this point I hadn’t committed to my job and I only would find reasons why I would never fit in neither.
When I was sobbing I knew that I had to make a decision whether I want to proceed with this apprenticeship or not. But as I grew up in East Germany and economic situation wasn’t as great in the mid nineties, I felt I didn’t have a choice other than accepting this job as an opportunity rather than a struggle.
I found a strong value in making this work, in making sure not to lose my job. I got myself back together and started focussing on what I want to achieve and how this apprenticeship can be a crutch rather than an obstacle.
I stayed in that company for more than eleven years. I became a sales manager in the very same office and I also became the one new apprentices would report to.
This is only one of my experiences in overcoming obstacles and I am sure you will find some in your life too. So I encourage you to figure out what it is that you truly desire and how you can change your focus towards your goals rather than accepting the limitations that are around you!
Whenever you feel there is something holding you back ask yourself following questions:
- How much do I want to achieve my goal, satisfy my need, or fulfil my desire?
- What am I prepared to do for it?
- What are the steps I will need to take to get what I want?
These questions will help you to determine how strongly you value your goal and how important it is for you not moving at all.
Obstacles are only as big and invincible as you make them and the easiest way around is to focus on the goal ahead!
How did you overcome obstacles in the past and what are the ones that stand in your way at this moment? Please let me know and I am also happy for you sharing this article in your circles.
- Lessons Learned on the Path of Overcoming an Obstacle (ariannasrandomthoughts.com)
- Envision the Life You Desire (jdogwhitney.com)
- Why obstacles are necessary (successful-blog.com)
- Achieve your goals and reach your full potential (jigsawenterprisetraining.wordpress.com)
- Planting Seeds… Reaching Success (racheloakley4.wordpress.com)
- Lisa Gawlas – Overcoming The Obstacles Of Life – 27 February 2012 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming obstacles and climbing over walls (shalamajackson.wordpress.com)
- Commitment to your vision (ingalizdenyte.wordpress.com)
- Creating an Appetite for Goals (living4bliss.wordpress.com)
- Not Problems, But Obstacles (positivitysquared.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming Obstacles (dailybibleplan.com)
- Overcoming Obstacles (missmauna.wordpress.com)
- How to Overcome Obstacles in Your Life (socyberty.com)
- Obstacle 55: Interruptions (climbeveryobstacle.wordpress.com)