The Top 10 Secrets of Effective People Management
People management happens all the time and everywhere. Besides the work environment, we too manage people in our relationships at home, with friends, and with strangers we meet while shopping, travelling, or dining out. We are also managed by others.
Now effective people management starts with one self. People who are self-aware and truly confident are most likely great people managers as they are understanding, appreciative and good listeners. Good people manager trust and believe in people around them. That way people feel valued and empowered. A nourishment for effectiveness!
But how can you achieve to manage people effectively? Here are my top 10 secrets:
- Observe someone, who is great with people! Find out what this person does to make you and others feel good? Make a list of your observation and evaluate whether you are doing the same or not.
- Listen, listen, listen! While you are caught up in your own world you are hardly able to catch what others are concerned about. Everyone has different knowledge, experiences and perspectives! Take some time for others and listen to them with full attention. You may even learn something new!
- Ask to clarify! Make sure that your are on the same page. What are they really talking about? What is their problem? What do they want you to do? Clarify and summarise to let others know that you are listening.
- It’s ok to know best, but keep it to yourself! Many people have huge resistance to being told what to do. And even if you know better, it is often wiser to keep it to yourself. Encourage people to find answers themselves in asking appropriate questions. This way you are enabled to guide and empower others at the same time.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself! Relationships often reflect our own behaviour. When you are respectful of others, others will be respectful of you. When you value others, others will value you! Observe what you like about the approach of others, evaluate your own approach, and make adjustments appropriately.
- Notice and work with people’s values! Everyone has different values. To recognise them is hugely beneficial in people management. For instance people who value a structure you can lay out a step by step plan while people, who value creativity might be happy to find their own way.
- Trust and believe in others! Notice the potential everyone has and help them to be the best they can be! Some people are more confident than others, but while you believe and trust in their abilities you also help them to believe and trust in themselves.
- Create a harmonious and safe environment! People are capable of much more once they feel valued, understood, and safe to be true to themselves. To create this environment it is important to seek understanding of someones behaviours and actions, to look from different angles and to be non-judgemental.
- Understand their motivation! Everyone is motivated by different things and even with different tasks this might change. Once you understand their motivation you can nourish it.
- Be true to yourself! What works with others works with you as well. Be honest to yourself and make sure you serve your values too! Remember who is able to self manage is able to manage others!
These secrets are a collection of things that work for me. I am sure that you have your own strategies that work for you and I invite you to share your experiences with effective people management.by Sandy Seeber – November, 2011